Please ask us questions you may have. Below are some we have had before and want to share.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many people are homeless in the City of Tulare?
There are 992 people experiencing homelessness in Tulare county. 203 are in the City of Tulare.Source: Kings Tulare Homeless Alliance 2020 Point in Time Report
Who are the people experiencing homelessness in Tulare County?
- 60% are Men
- 40% are Women
- 12% with Children
- 88% without Children
- 47 people are Veterans
- 427 people have a disability
- 53 are unaccompanied Youth
Why does a person become homeless?
People become homeless for a variety of reasons:
- Lack of affordable housing
- Physical/mental illness or disability
- Substance abuse
- Job loss or decline in income
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Prison release
- Downturn in the economy
- Changes and cuts in public assistance programs
- Family deterioration/abandonment
- Years of institutional living (mental health, drug treatment, prison, foster care, etc.)
Do the men and women who stay at The Lighthouse have to work?
- Women – Thrift Processing
- Men – Drop-offs/Pick-ups, Housing Repairs, Alley Cleaning, Downtown Pressure Washing Crew, Rock Crusher